Assistant Professor, Yaşar University
Dr. Açar completed his B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. at the Department ofInternational Relations, Middle East Technical University (METU),Turkey. He worked at the same department as research assistant. He did field research in various parts of the Balkans as well as worked for the OSCE missions in Kosovo and Bosnia-Herzegovina. Dr. Açar spent a year as Ph.D. research fellow at the Department of War Studies, King’s College London with the Jean Monnet Scholarship. After briefly teaching at the Turkish Military College he joined Department of International Relations at the Yaşar University, Turkey as an assistant professor where he currently teaches. There he also served until recently as the Vice-chair of the Yaşar University Center for Mediterranean Studies. His major areas of interest are foreign policies, Euro-Atlantic integration processes, transition politics and political economy of the Balkan states in general, Albania and Kosovo in particular; small states in world affairs; international peace operations and post-conflict involvements of the international community; international and European security; small wars, insurgencies and counter insurgency operations; international politics of oil; and wider Mediterranean politics.
Title of Presentation
Albania: A Pragmatic Small State Playing on Asymmetric Relations in the International Arena
- Açar, Dilaver Arıkan and Rüma, İnan (2007), “External Pressure and Turkish Discourse on Recognition of the ‘Armenian Genocide’”, Southeast European and Black Sea Studies, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 449-465. SSCI.
- Yalçınkaya, Haldun and Açar, Dilaver Arıkan (2009), “NATO's Peacekeeping in Afghanistan: Expanding the Role to Counterinsurgency or Limiting It to Security Assistance”, Defence Against Terrorism Review, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 59-81.
- Rüma, İnan and Açar, Dilaver Arıkan (2009), “External Pressure and Turkish Discourse on the ‘Kurdish/Democratic Initiative’”, Turkish Yearbook of International Relations, no.40, pp. 1- 37.
- Haldun Yalçınkaya, Mehmet Emre Hatipoğlu, Dilaver Arıkan Açar and Mitat Çelikpala “Turkish Efforts in Peacekeeping and the Introduction of the TUBAKOV Dataset: An Exploratory Analysis”, International Peacekeeping, 25(4), 475-496.
Other Academic Publications
- Report; Türkeş, Mustafa; Rüma, İnan; Akşit, Sait ve Açar, Dilaver Arıkan, Kriz Sarmalında Bosna-Hersek: “Devlet Krizi”, Dış Politika Forumu Araştırma Raporu, Boğaziçi Üniversitesi-TÜSİAD, DPF 2012- RR 02, Kasım / November 2012.
- Açar, Dilaver Arıkan, “Global Governance and the COVID-19 Pandemic”, Global Academy Talks Series (İstanbul: Global Academy and International Relations Council), No.3, November 2020.
- Açar, Dilaver Arıkan ve Rüma, İnan, “Ermeni Sorununun Türk Dış Politikasına Etkisi”, Faruk Sönmezoğlu (et. al.) XXI. Yüzyılda Türk Dış Politikasının Analizi, Der Yayınları, İstanbul, 2012, pp. 175- 203.
- Açar, Dilaver Arıkan, “Türkiye - Arnavutluk İlişkileri”, Faruk Sönmezoğlu (et. al.) XXI. Yüzyılda Türk Dış Politikasının Analizi, Der Yayınları, İstanbul, 2012, pp. 529-546.
- Açar, Dilaver Arıkan, “Germany”, in Yıldız, A. (ed.). (2019). Integration of Refugee Students in European Higher Education: Comparative Country Cases. Izmir: Yasar University Publications, pp. 17-28.
- Açar, Dilaver Arıkan, (2020). “Sonuç: Küresel Siyaset, Kriz ve Pandemi Merkezli Bilançosu”. Elif Uzgören ve Dilaver Arıkan Açar (der.) Küreselleşmenin Krizi Pandemi ve Uluslararası Siyaset, Ankara: Nobel Akademik Yayıncılık, ss. 241-247.
- Book Chapter: Genel Değerlendirme, Küresel, Bölgesel ve Enerji Düzenlerinde Dönüşümler: Türkiye ve Japonya’dan Yaklaşımlar, Şaban Kardaş ve Haldun Yalçınkaya (der.) içinde, Orient Yayıncılık, 2021, Ankara, ss, 57-63.